We recognize that Content provided by Owners and Travellers is a valuable resource for other Owners and Travellers and we therefore encourage you to post content to our site in accordance with these guidelines.
Our site is family friendly and any content posted must be appropriate for our community. There are various ways in which an Owner, Traveller or user of our site (each a “User”) may contribute content to our site, including an Owners description of a property, Owners review of a Traveller or Owners response to a Traveller review and a Traveller’s review of a property, forum posts or any other content submitted by a User (collectively the “Contributed Content”). All Contributed Content is the subjective opinion of the User who posts the content; any such Contributed Content is not the opinion of HomeAway and is not endorsed by us.
All Contributed Content must be truthful and accurate (and by posting Contributed Content, you confirm the truthfulness and accuracy). HomeAway is not responsible for any Contributed Content and will not check the accuracy, veracity or the legitimacy of Contributed Content. All Users should be aware that posting Contributed Content could subject them to legal claims (for example, for misrepresentation or defamation), and HomeAway will not arbitrate or be any part of such claim.
All Contributed Content must adhere to the Terms and Conditions of the HomeAway website on which such Contributed Content is posted and also the following guidelines:
- Any Contributed Content must be truthful, accurate and appropriate (and by way of example, but not limitation, therefore, must not contain anything that is illegal, obscene, profane, abusive, threatening, invasive of privacy or otherwise, objectionable).
- Users who post content must have all legal rights to so post.
- The Contributed Content must be directly related to its purpose. Examples include:
- Traveller’s description of themselves (on their Traveller profile) must relate only to the Traveller.
- Property listings must relate only to the subject property.
- Property listings should not direct Users to third-party websites, list email addresses or contain any marketing materials.
- Reviews of a property must focus on either the Traveller’s experience renting the property from the Owner or the Owners experience renting the property to the Traveller and must not contain any links to other sites, email addresses or marketing materials.
- Reviews and responses should not disclose the postal address of the property or any User.
- Any photographic or video content submitted must only feature the listed property (and must not feature any person).
- As the amounts Owners may charge to rent a property may vary, reviews and responses should not disclose the actual rates that a Traveller has paid to the Owner.
- Contributed Content must not be used to attempt to threaten the other party (for example, to attempt to pay or return funds or to otherwise provide some form of benefit).
- Please note we reserve the discretion to determine the appropriateness of Contributed Content in all instances, and to not list or to remove any Contributed Content in our absolute discretion (but without obligation) with our decision being final.
To submit a review, a Traveller or Owner must meet the following requirements:
- Any Traveller review of a property must be submitted within one year of Traveller’s date of stay.
- The Traveller or Owner must be able to provide satisfactory evidence of the stay in the property (or the inability to proceed with a stay due to other party’s late action). Satisfactory evidence includes:
- Possessing a receipt of property access information from HomeAway Mobile Hospitality Manager;
- Demonstrating payment in accordance with a rental agreement that was cancelled before the date of the Traveller’s arrival;
- Payment made in accordance with the rental agreement whereby the Traveller arrived and had to stay at an alternative property due to unforeseen circumstances.
- Owners may not review a property that they own, manage or are otherwise associated with and Travellers may not review themselves.
- All Travellers or Owners submitting a review must also be able to validate their identity and/or email address upon submission.
We will not edit reviews on a Traveller or Owner’s behalf. A Traveller or Owner may contact Customer Service to remove their published review and the Traveller or Owner can publish a revised review subject to these guidelines.
If you wish to provide us with legal notice in respect of any Contributed Content, please do so by servicing notice in accordance with the legal notice provisions set out below. In the event of legal issues relating to any Contributed Content we reserve the right (but not the obligation) and without any admission of liability, to remove any Contributed Content from our site (including as a response to any legal notice we receive) pending resolution of any legal issues (at which time we reserve the right but not the obligation to restore any such content).
Legal notice provisions
Any legal notice re content (for example, a notice regarding infringements of copyright) should be sent to us via Contact Us and should specify the following:
- Your address, telephone number and email;
- Detailed information about the content concerned (display of the image or text), including a link to the site; and
- If related to copyright infringement, a formal declaration showing that you;
- Are the holder of the exclusive user right to the work;
- Have not authorised the use of the relevant material in this form.
These Content Guidelines were last updated on the 19 April 2016.