A lovely, historic and exquisite house in the heart of Soho in Central London. Listed historical building with centuries of history, including exquisite 19th century fireplaces.
The house, a maisonette is bang in the heart of Soho - which, incidentally, derives from the days when the Royal Court would go hunting in what was still forested area with game and the hunting party would shout warnings to anyone in the vicinity 'Soho'. Today, Soho Square is on your doorstep, as are world famous bars, jazz bars, theatres, shopping - Oxford Street 30m one way and Picadilly/Regent Street 150 m the other.
You can walk anywhere from the flat. But if you need transport then there are several tube stops in the vicinity - Oxford St, Tottenham Court Rd and Picadilly Circus. Buses go on Oxford St.
The flat is fully decked out and has a charming old English feel to it. There are 3 double bedrooms with double beds on the 2nd and 3rd floors & 2 bathrooms with possibility of a 7th guest on a foldaway bed.
* Bedroom 1: Double bed, full bedding/linen, TV
* Bedroom 2: Double bed, full bedding/linen en-suite with bath/shower and toilet
* Bedroom 3: Double, full bedding/linen, TV.
* Second Bathroom: shower, toilet and washer-dryer machine.
* New kitchen with full electric hobs, oven,microwave, dishwasher, fridge/freezer, kettle, toaster and coffee machine
History: The area of Soho was grazing farmland until 1536, when it was taken by Henry VIII as a royal park for the Palace of Whitehall. The name 'Soho' first appears in the 17th century. Most authorities believe that the name derives from a former hunting cry. The Duke of Monmouth used 'soho' as a rallying call for his men at the Battle of Sedgemoor, half a century after the name was first used for this area of London.
In the 1660s the Crown granted Soho Fields to Henry Jermyn, 1st Earl of St Albans. He leased 19 of its 22 acres (89,000 m2) to Joseph Girle, who gained permission to build and promptly passed his lease and licence to bricklayer Richard Frith in 1677. Frith began the development. In 1698 William III granted the Crown freehold of most of this area to William, Earl of Portland. Meanwhile the southern part of what became the parish of St Anne Soho was sold by the Crown in parcels in the 16th and 17th centuries, with part going to Robert Sidney, Earl of Leicester.
Museums: Museums? British Museum on one side within easy walking reach and the British Gallery in Trafalgar Square. The river is within easy reach as is London Eye and the host of art and culture on the South Bank of the river.
Night-life and Theatres: Covent Garden and Shaftesbury Avenue have almost 90% of the cultural domination in terms of theatres - plays or musicals.
The Royal Opera House is in Covent Garden just a couple of minutes away.
The area is abuzz with bars, clubs and jazz clubs such as the nearby Ronnie Scotts. The music scene in Soho can be traced back to 1948 and Club Eleven, The Harmony Inn was an unsavoury cafe and hang-out for musicians on Archer Street operating during the 1940s and 1950s. It stayed open very late and attracted jazz fans from the nearby Cy Laurie Jazz Club.
The Ken Colyer Band's 51 Club (Great Newport Street) opened in the early fifties.