Photos and Description of this 3 bedroom holiday villa in Canillas de Aceituno - Bajo La Maroma
An Andalucian 3 bedroom, rural retreat with its pool and large grounds.
• 2 kilometres from the beautiful white hillside village of Canillas de Aceituno
• 20 minutes from the lovely typically Spanish town of Velez Malaga
• 25 minutes from the coast
• 60 minutes from Malaga airport
Read the reviews to see how much people have loved our villa, even before the recent renovations! (Please note that these are all genuine reviews from our guest book, which I copied and submitted, hence unable to add a star rating.)
With open-plan living, sitting and kitchen areas, high vaulted ceilings, pine doors and window shutters this villa has a fabulous spacious feel and wonderfully combines the modern with the traditional.
Sitting and dining areas:
• sitting area with log fire, seating for 6, coffee and side tables and bookcase with Hi-fi, games, CD’s books, information and walking files
• dining area with a large dining table and seating for 6
• newly fitted with modern units, double Belfast sink, ceramic hob, combination microwave/convection oven, fridge-freezer, electric kettle, toaster, food processor, a good collection of cooking utensils, tableware and even a selection of herbs and spices.
• 3 spacious double bedrooms, 1 with king bed and the others, each with 2 single beds
• large built-in pine wardrobes
• fans, hairdryer, chests of drawers, side tables, chairs and also some toys and items left for your considerate use
• bathroom 1: newly fitted in modern, rustic style with bath, shower, loo, wash-basin and fitted wooden shelving
• bathroom 2: en-suite to main bedroom – fitted with loo, basin unit and shower; tiles chosen to mimic the red glow of evening sunlight on the mountain which is viewed from the window.
2 gas heaters are available, but please note that these should never be used in a closed room.
• Private pool 8x5m with pool terrace, built-in BBQ and Arab bench
• extensive garden and grounds which include olives, pomegranates, almonds, apricots, figs and herbs, in addition to specimen and natural trees and shrubs, cultivated and wild flowers
• back patio
• Moorish style outdoor, shaded, chill-out / dining area
• tables and chairs, garden bench, parasol, sun-loungers
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets considered
About Sheila Puri
Hi I'm Sheila and with my husband, owner of Bajo La Maroma in Canillas de Aceituno and La Rijana in Almunecar. We have 3 children, the eldest two work in finance in London and the youngest about to join them; so you've guessed my age zone - hence no photo!
Sheila Puri purchased this villa in 1997
Why Sheila Puri chose Canillas de Aceituno
We bought our villa in Canillas de Aceituno about 16 years ago. We had lived in Peru and spoke an amount of Spanish, and were looking for a holiday home in the sun, not too far away and in a Spanish speaking area, where we could take our 3 young children. The southern coast of Spain was the obvious answer but we didn't want to be involved in the British invasion along the coast west of Malaga. The villa in Canillas was perfect - in a beautiful setting, with its own pool and far enough away from neighbours not to have to worry about the noise the children made as they played in the pool all day long! The traditional whitewashed village of Canillas, just 2 minutes away, was full of charm and character and the people there very friendly.
Not only that, but the coast was just half an hour away, so we could still go down to the sea, water park, horse riding, go-carting etc and had lots of shops, supermarkets and restaurants available should we need them.
What makes this villa unique
Time flies and so have the 'children' but we still adore going out to the villa. Despite living in a village in UK, there is no silence there that compares with the peace in the Andalucian hills around Canillas and the blackness of the sky for star-gazing. You really feel that you are getting away from it all, and without the distraction of TV, you seem to return to the simple life and can actually unwind; read all those books you've been meaning to; exercise your artistic, literary or photographic skills; relax with some bird-watching (don't forget the binoculars). If you should want it though, the village is just 2 minutes away, the local town 20 minutes and Malaga less than an hour
I love to see the sun rise over the mountain (La Maroma - the highest in the Axarquia) and at the end of the day, take my G+T and watch as the rocky face of El Penon Grande turns through a range of golden hues, ending rose-red in the evening sun. (I've tried to mirror this gorgeous colour in the tiles of the en-suite bathroom which looks out to the mountains.) After that, we BBQ, then maybe watch for shooting stars and take a midnight swim. It is all so beautiful, that I hate having to leave, and just long for the next trip back!
Guestbook comments from the manager
We loved your villa - the setting is beautiful and it was so relaxing to get away from it all. We thought we'd do lots of sight-seeing but in the end we didn't do much - we were happy to stay by the pool and wander around locally. We enjoyed the food at the Bodegon in the village, but best was having a BBQ by the pool most nights and watching the stars!
Thanks so much. We hope to be back.