Photos and Description of this 5 bedroom holiday chateau / country house in Halifax - Shirehorse Castle
Beautiful historic castle with swimming pool and gym
In 2008 Shirehorse Castle was voted ‘Britain’s Best Home’ in a Channel Five series, however this Grade II folly which looks like a Norman castle started life in the early 19th Century as a farmhouse and barn that were converted into a castle by the Shaw family in about 1860. The original owners never even lived there: they simply wanted to create a romantic castle in their view, something they could see from their own large house, so they built the castle!
The castle boasts battlements, towers with arrow slit windows and arch headed windows. The buildings were bought and partially modernised in 1964, before being sold in 2002 to the current owners who have created a wonderful contemporary interior and converted the stable block into a fantastic indoor swimming pool and gym. The ruins of a mill stand in the twelve-acre grounds and there is also a working water wheel.
Interior and Grounds:
Outside the castle sits within a deer park, landscaped gardens and a woodland setting of 12 acres. We have an outdoor hot tub on raised decking patio with outdoor furniture. There is extensive private parking to front and rear of property. There is also a working water wheel, lake, bridge, bbq area with gas bbq and seating, chiminea, cobbled courtyard with outdoor furniture and extensive lawns to front and rear. In addition there is the newly refurbished Watermill Suite in the grounds - perfect for functions and private dining for up to 40 guests.
The castle comprises 3 floors with interior and exterior access to the indoor swimming pool via an interior bridge.
- Dining Room: Large dining table with glass top seating 10, leather chairs, log fire, stone floor, extensive wood panelling, mood lighting, views to front lawns. Sound system.
- Kitchen: Fully equipped breakfast kitchen with aga, dishwasher, fridge, microwave oven, kettle, toaster, tv.
- Sitting Room: Luxurious suede sofas, log fire, plasma tv, panoramic window with views towards swimming pool. Sound system, Blu-ray DVD player, Satellite television.
- Conservatory: Floor to ceiling glass windows with views of water wheel and rear gardens. Sumptuous velvet sofas and luxury carpet. Contemporary glass door leading to kitchen.
- Utility Room: American style fridge freezer with ice maker, washing machine, tumble dryer, ironing facilities, vacuum and sink.
- Indoor Swimming Pool: Heated pool with removable cover. Private shower and wc facilities. Lounge area with leather sofas, sound system, plasma satellite television.
- Gym: Air conditioned with treadmill, cross trainer, free weights, bench weights. Sound system and windows to plasma television.
- Double Bedroom (en suite double): Super king size bed, with dressing room, plasma tv with satellite tv, ensuite shower room. Hairdryer provided.
- Double Bedroom 2: King size bed, built in wardrobes, flat screen lcd tv, views of water wheel and gardens.
- Double Bedroom 3: King size bed, built in wardrobes. Views of rear gardens.
- Double Bedroom 4: Bell tower feature and arrow slit windows with wooden shutters. Plasma TV with leather panelled wall. Door leading to indoor access to swimming pool and massage room. Staircase leading to bedroom 5.
- Double Bedroom 5 (ensuite double): Staircase from bedroom 4 to dressing room with fitted wardrobes, contemporary bathroom with shower, his and hers hand basins, lounger. Bedroom under the eaves with exposed beams and brickwork to walls.
- Family Bathroom 1: Luxury mosaic tiled bathroom with walk in steam room/shower, bath with television over.
- Family Bathroom 2: Round bathroom built into castle turret with slit windows, shower cubicle.
PLEASE NOTE THAT FULL PROPERTY DESCRIPTIONS, PHOTOGRAPHS, AVAILABILITY & PRICES ARE KEPT UP TO DATE ON MY WEBSITE WHICH YOU CAN VISIT BY CLICKING ON MY PERSONAL WEBSITE LINK BELOW.
- children welcome
- pets considered
- suitable for elderly or infirm
About Oliver's Travels - UK
Simply Chateau was set up in 2003 after two old school chums enjoyed a fantastic holiday with friends in a French chateau in the Dordogne. Oliver & Ravi, the two directors of the company, were amazed at what terrific value these stunning chateau rentals represented and decided to spread the word. Soon after the website www.simplychateau.com was born.
Today we deliver a wide range of luxury villas, private chateau and charming farmhouses throughout France, Italy, Spain, the UK and the Caribbean. We have something for everyone from charming manor houses representing great value for money to fully catered & serviced luxury chateau, all handpicked and chosen with care. Bookings are made direct with the owner of your chosen property to guarantee you get the best booking price available.
Why Oliver's Travels - UK chose Halifax
At Simply Chateau we only work with the very best rental properties on the market. All of our properties have been handpicked and we take our customer feedback extremely seriously. We operate a ‘three strikes and you’re out’ policy - that is to say if we have 3 negative reviews relating to any of our properties we cease to advertise it.
We have properties to suit every taste and budget, all chosen with care by our expert team for their unique character, fantastic features and stunning countryside locations.
What makes this chateau / country house unique
Free Concierge Service:
As luxury rental specialists we have all the experience in the world helping each and every one of our customers find the most suitable property for their dream holiday. All you need to do is provide us with the details of what you imagine your dream holiday to be, and we'll find the perfect property for you. We can make sure that every arrangement is planned to perfection and each element of your holiday has been refined. Transfers, catering, maid service, tours and activities can all be prearranged to your specific requirements.
100% Financial Guarantee:
We realize that financial protection is an important consideration when choosing a holiday company so to ensure you have complete peace of mind we are bonded members of ABTA.
Lowest Price Guarantee:
Simply Chateau ‘simply’ processes the bookings and credit card payments on the property owner’s behalf. The owners themselves set the rates so you know you are getting the best available rental rate when you book.
Avoid Internet Scams:
Each and every property listed on our website has been checked to make sure that it actually exists. This ensures that you do not become a victim of an internet scam as can happen through an ordinary listing website.