Photos and Description of this 3 bedroom holiday home in Angouleme - Chez Meunier
3 bedroom house sleeps 6. Between the city and the coast. Ideal for exploring.
Hidden between the mill stream and the forest, Chez Meunier offers complete privacy. The local countryside presents a mosaic of colour, with sunflowers, maize and wheat and the occasional family group of cattle grazing happily in the fields. But the area is best known for its vineyards, supplying grapes for Cognac and our local delicacy Pineau. The Charente region has many attractive towns and villages and a sightseeing holiday could include:
• Cognac and a visit to one of its world famous Brandy Houses – watch the process and sample the product!
• Angouleme, with its beautiful Cathedral in the heart of the Old City, where a wander through the maze of narrow streets offers a delightful range of pavement bars and gourmet restaurants to suit everyone. Angouleme is also the capital of the cartoon industry and a visit to the paper making museum on the banks of the beautiful Charente is a must.
• The famous and fascinating Chapelle des Templiers at Cressac – just a healthy bike ride away from the house. Soak up the aura of its frescoes before pedaling on to Blanzac for a coffee.
• Jarnac, which straddles the lovely Charente. Here you can enjoy a boat trip on the river.
For the more adventurous: • Golf enthusiasts can play the championship course at Cognac, beautifully designed around a Chateau and its vineyard. There is also an 18 hole course in Angouleme and a pleasant 9 hole course at nearby Pillac
• The Charente river offers numerous opportunities to hire canoes and kayaks, for an hour or for a day. Aubeterre sur Dronne, with its underground cathedral and voted one of the most beautiful villages in France, has a range of options and is 25 minutes away.
• For the ramblers and cyclists, the quiet lanes and rolling hills provide a perfect setting. There are waymarked paths and bridleways, or you can explore the valleys of the Ne and the Boeme yourselves with local maps.
Other activities and experiences: • In Angouleme, the annual Cartoon Strip Festival ( Bande Desinee ) in February and the Rampart Rally ( vintage cars from all over Europe racing round the City streets ) in September.
• In Cognac, the annual Blues and Jazz Festival in early July attracts internationally renowned artists every year.
• In Barbezieux, the Music Week early July, where local and regional musicians play a variety of styles in the bars and around the streets. There are also organised live concerts and exhibitions throughout the summer.
Throughout the region, almost every village offers weekly markets, fares and occasional exhibitions. In the summer, the “Farmers Markets” are a fantastic way to sample local produce in the villages, where you usually have the chance to buy the meat, cook it there and then on the BBQ and wash it down with some local wine!
The property: The low, unassuming façade belies the huge amount of space contained within. The entrance, beside the private pool, leads into a large bright hallway and the ground floor. Overlooking the pool is the bright, airy and fully equipped kitchen/diner. The giant oak table will seat 6 with room to spare.
Across the hall is the sitting room which again looks out onto the pool and beyond into the woods.
This room is comfortably furnished with armchairs and settees, TV and DVD and a supply of books and games.
At the end of the hall is a toilet with hand basin.
Upstairs is another large hall leading to the master bedroom with vaulted ceiling and en-suite. At the opposite end of the hall are the double and twin bedrooms. These are opposite the family bathroom with full sized bath and shower.
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
Guestbook comments from the owner
by text on return journey- 'thank you for a perfect few days. It is such a shame we could not stay longer- next time!'