Photos and Description of this 7 bedroom holiday chateau / country house in Angers - Chateau du Pin
Chateau du Pin is a lovely vacation setting for travelers visiting the Loire Valley. Le Pin's main wing can accommodate 12-16 people. Visitors will enjoy spacious, light filled rooms with high ceilings. The house is simply furnished mixing eclectic antiques with modern comforts. It is the perfect setting for truly memorable celebrations, special events and reunions with friends and family.
The ground floor has a large entry hall, two living rooms, a large dining room, a kitchen and pantry, and two tower rooms hosting old and new libraries.
The first floor has seven bedrooms that vary in personality and size. Visitors will enjoy spectacular views of the award-winning gardens and grounds. Some bedrooms include private baths with antique porcelain bathtubs, others bedrooms have shared baths. Le Pin consists of approximately 300 acres of farmland, woodland with walking trails, vineyards, formal gardens, topiary, and a chapel.
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- wheelchair inaccessible
About Louise Gignoux
In 1919, Gerard and Claudine (née Huffer) Gignoux acquired the chateau and raised their family there. Gerard created the extraordinary topiary gardens and oversaw Le Pin's farms and developed the award-winning vineyards. Claudine, a skilled landscape painter, produced the fine murals for the chateau inspired by the local countryside. After Claudine's untimely death in 1931, Gerard married Betty Perry in 1935 and returned to America shortly thereafter. After WWII, Gerard and Betty returned to Le Pin where they raised their second family and rehabilitated the chateau, gardens and farms.
Today, the children and grandchildren jointly own the chateau.
Louise Gignoux purchased this chateau / country house in 1919
Why Louise Gignoux chose Angers
Chateau du Pin was first built as a fortified chateau in the 12th century, probably on the remains of a Roman opium warehouse. The original chateau was destroyed during the Breton Wars in the 14th century. The central square tower with the wine cellar at its base dates from the original chateau. The main wing of the chateau was partially rebuilt in the 15th century; a chapel and other additions were constructed during the 18th and 19th centuries.
Le Pin consists of approximately 300 acres of farmland, woodland with walking trails, vineyards, formal gardens, topiary, and a chapel.
What makes this chateau / country house unique
Le Pin is officially classified as a 'Monument Historique' by the French government and the gardens have been designated as one of the 'Des Jardins Remarquables ' by the Ministry of Culture and Communication.