Photos and Description of this 5 bedroom holiday villa in Granada - Cortijo la Mata
Self catering villa rental with pool ideal for both Granada and Sierra Nevada
Cortijo la Mata, owned and run by Scott and Sari Macdonald, is a traditional Andalusian farmhouse constructed in the year 1911 converted into a holiday villa with breathtaking views of the Sierra Nevada mountains, gated swimming pool, satellite TV (free to air UK channels such as the BBC) and high speed Wi-Fi.
For those who are looking for a complete escape to the Andalusian countryside yet want to take advantage of all that the city of Granada has to offer plus take in the ski slopes of Spain's highest mountain range the location is perfect. Situated in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountain range, the villa is located just outside the old village of Monachil in an area of outstanding natural beauty surrounded by olive, almond and cherry trees.
Total land area of 1,500m2 which includes the villa (275m2 distributed over three floors), beautiful mature gardens of over 100m2, several patios and terraces totalling around 300m2, parking area of 100m2 (for 4 cars) and private mountainside of 800m2. The large pool is fully enclosed and there are 9 sun loungers to relax on while the kids splash in their own.
Ideal for a large family (with grandparents) or two families taking a holiday together in 6 bedrooms. Set amongst mature gardens with beautiful shrubs and trees the barbecue area with fabulous views of the countryside is big enough for family celebrations & gatherings. There are quiet corners for relaxation, so everyone can relax and enjoy their well earned family holiday.
The villa is ideally located within a couple of minute walk of the local shops, restaurants, cafes, bars, banks, a post office, pharmacy, DIY shop, tobacco shop, bike rental and bus stop. Cortijo la Mata is registered with the Andalusian Tourist Board VTAR/GR/00194.
- 10 minutes (8km) to Alhambra Palace
- 15 minutes to the city of Granada
- 20 minutes walking to Granada`s top climbing area-Los Cahorros
- 30 minutes to Sierra Nevada ski resort ( there is a separate road from the village to the resort )
- 30 minutes to Granada's Federico Garcia Lorca airport.
- 45 minutes to beach resorts such as Salobreña and Almuñecar
- 6 Bedrooms ( sleeps up to 12 ) including suite on top floor
- 3 Living areas each one with satellite TV and Spanish digital TV ( each living area has a chimney, open fire or woodstove )
- 3 fully-equipped independent kitchens
- 2 dining rooms and 2 bathrooms
- 3 Large patios furnished with rattan furniture, dining tables and chairs for 12 guests
- Barbecues ( one brick built and one metalic )
- 8 pool side sun loungers
- Private parking lot for 4 cars
- Around 800m2 of private mountainside in which to roam
- High speed Wi-Fi broadband throughout the property
- Air conditioning in top floor bedroom
Child friendly :
- Security gated pool, ideal for families with young children
- 2 travel cots and 1 wooden cot
- 2 standard high chairs
- Plastic plates and cups
- Changing mat
- Baby blankets
- Children toys and books
- 1 bike, 1 baby walker and 1 large playpen
Services (on request):
- Granada´s private chef
- Flamenco lessons
- Therapeutic massage
- Stargazing session
- Bike hire
- Spanish courses
- Cookery courses
- Catering Service
- Baby sitting
- Check-in time is 16:00 and check-out 10:00.
- Swimming pool open according to season (open mid May thru end of September inclusive - weather permitting). Dimensions 7m length x 3.5m width and 1.2m (shallow end) to 2.0m (deep end) depth.
- Maximum capacity is 12 guests.
- A fully returnable breakage deposit of 300€ is payable together with the balance. This is returned provided the house is found to be clean and in order on departure day.
-Should guests wish to use the internet, data tokens can be purchased either at time of booking or any time thereafter by sending an email to the owner. Using the latest technology our satellite internet connection offers a headline 4Mbps download and 1Mbps upload speed and is connected to a WiFi which covers the entire property inside and out. Each token has a usage of 1GB and costs 25 €.
- No pets permitted.
- All bedlinen and towels are supplied and included in the price at no additional cost. For longer stays bedlinen and towels are changed on request. Please note that towels for the pool are NOT supplied.
- Cleaning materials and associated equipment are provided in the villa for your use during your stay.
- Change over day during summer months is Saturday. We can be flexible at other times so please ask.
- Late availability discounts - unlet dates within 7 days are discounted by 15%
- Long stay discount - 5% discount will be applied to full weeks after the first week
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- wheelchair inaccessible
About Scott Macdonald
My name is Scott MacDonald and together with my wife Sari own and manage Cortijo la Mata villa in Granada (Spain) and Lake Beratan Villa in Bali .
We currently live in Scotland with our children, dividing our time between Granada (Spain) and our other home in Bali (Indonesia).
Scott Macdonald purchased this villa in 2002
Why Scott Macdonald chose Granada
Owner had studied and lived in Granada and other parts of Spain for many years prior to purchasing this property. Absolutely stunning location for a holiday. The intense blue skies, mountain backdrop on one side and the plain of Granada on the other combine to make it a very special place.
What makes this villa unique
This is a unique property. Travellers will be hard pushed to find such a traditional yet updated villa so close to Granada city whilst surrounded by the Andalusian countryside.
Guestbook comments from the owner
Thank you Sari and Scott for a warm welcome to Cortijolamata. The cottages are home from home. We have had a wonderful 5 days, enjoyed visits to Alhambra Palace, city tour of Granada on the open-top bus, sun and sea at Salobreña and relaxing by the pool taking in the stunning views.