This is a two storey recently refurbished comfortable and relaxing mews house just new to Homeaway.com. The mews was a coach house for a large victorian house on Pembroke Road in the 1800’s.
It's a special charming house, which was once home to Ireland’s famous poet - Patrick Kavanagh. Kavanagh composed the poem Raglan Road which was adopted in song by Van Morrison among many other musicians and singers.
The Mews is on Baggot Lane, in Ballsbridge which is Ireland’s leafy embassy belt set among Georgian and Victorian Dublin.
This mews house is one the few which has some of its original coach house features from its first occupants in tact. It is also one of the few buildings of historical and literary interest available for short term stays in Dublin.
The Mews has been decorated to take account of its victorian past and its mid 20th century occupancy by Patrick Kavanagh, in style, furnishings and design while keeping it fresh and modern.
Just on the doorstep are the banks of the Royal Canal, Herbert Park or Merrion and Fitzwilliam Squares... all of which are an oasis of calm and still greenness in the city centre which inspired the writing of Kavanagh and which are easy to access if you stay here. If you like rugby the Aviva stadium is a some minutes walk away which hosts the international nations and provincial rugby and has a series of concerts also. The RDS showgrounds nearby is famous for its annual horse show. Also within walking distance is Trinity College where you can view the Book of Kells. The National Library where you can view the national archives of writing and photographs is also very close by as is the Genealogy Office for checking out Irish ancestry. There's lots to do like taking a picnic in the local parks or on the banks of the canal, playing tennis in Herbert Park or joining a local course. Why not take a food or literary trail, visit the local Bord Gais and Gaiety Theatres or catch a lunchtime concert in the National Concert Hall. You can travel further walking, cycling or a few stops on the DART train to Sandymount Strand, Dunlaoire Harbour and Howth - catch some sailing, surfing or kayaking...ther's plenty of choice.
Transport and Getting Around is easy: Nearest Taxi Rank - 1 minute walk - Nearest Air Coach Stop: 15 minute walk -Nearest D.A.R.T station - 8 minutes Walk - Nearest Dublin Bike Station - 11 minute walk - Nearest Bus Stop is 2 minutes walk - with 5 routes. Second nearest bus stop is 7 minutes walk with a further 3 routes.
What are we Near?
- Airport - 25 to 30 minutes away by Taxi (depending traffic and the time of day) Luxury 24 hour service AirCoach’s Leeson St. Bridge stop is a 15 minute walk away.
Theatres and Concert and Sporting Venues:
- Aviva Stadium - 5 minute walk - RDS Main Arena - 10 minute walk - Bord Gáis Energy Theatre - 15 minute walk - National Concert Hall - 20 minute walk - Gaiety Theatre - 20 minute walk - O2 Arena - 25 minute walk - Andrews Lane Theatre - 20 minute walk - Olympia Theatre - 30 minute walk- Abbey and Gate Theatres - 40 minute walk
Museums and Galleries:
- National Museum of Ireland and Natural Museum of Ireland - 20 minute walk - The Little Museum of Dublin - 20 minute walk- National Gallery - 20 minute walk.
Places of Interest: - Oscar Wilde’s Home - 10 minute walk
Dail Eireann - Houses of Parliament - 15 minute walk -National Library of Ireland and the Geanology Office- 15 minute walk
Science Gallery - 20 minute walk - Trinity College - 20 minute walk - Dublin Castle and the Chester Beatty Library - 30 minutes walk - Temple Bar - 30 minutes walk
Christchurch and St. Patrick’s Cathedral - 35 minute walk - Jameson Distillery, Guinness StoreHouse - 50 minute walk
Shopping, Eating and Drinking: - St Mary’s Road, Baggot Street, Merrion Row, St. Stephen’s Green, Grafton Street have plenty of restaurants and world famous bars within easy distance.
Searsons and The Waterloo gastro pubs of literary fame are just within 5 minutes walk. If you prefer to dine in - there is a supermarket, fine grocery and wine shop within 5 minutes walk and a Canal Bank food market with artisan food producers every thursday about 8 minutes walk away.
Parks and beaches:
- Herbert Park - 10 minute walk
- Merrion Square - 10 minute walk
- Royal Canal - 10 minute walk
- Grand Canal dock and quay - 13 minute walk
- Phoenix Park - 10 minute bus or Luas ride.
- Clontarf and Sandmount - 10 minute D.A.R.T. ride
- Howth and Dalkey - 25 minute D.A.R.T. ride.