Dalkey is a beautiful heritage town situated between the sea and a hill only 9km from Dublin City Centre. Within the town there many shops - supermarket, pharmacies, restaurants, bars, delicatessens and cafes as well as churches, railway station and a bus stop. There is also a heritage centre. The train station (2 min walk from the house) has a direct train to Dublin city centre. There is also a direct bus link to the airport.
Dalkey is close to some of Dublin finest beaches like Sandycove the bathing site for Dubliners for centuries, where Joyce lived and set some of his works (Tower & Museum)
• Sandycove beach & Forty Foot - 1 min walk (sandy beach, Joyce's Tower)
• Bullock Harbour - 5 min walk (buy lobsters, rent a boat to Dalkey island)
• White Rock/ Killiney beach 25 mins walk(surfing, dolphins).
• Seapoint beach – Car 10 mins, Dart 10 mins, Walk 25 min, (swim, watersports centre).
• Brittas Bay beach - 40 min drive (5k white sandy beach, swim, watersports, horse-riding, picnics).
Dalkey is also very convenient to Dublin city centre and many tourists use it as a base for exploring Dublin and Wickklow (also known as the Garden of Ireland). Dublin City Centre – Places of Interest
• Trinity College – Book of Kells
• Dublin Castle
• Guinness Storehouse
• National Museum of Ireland; National Gallery of Ireland; Natural History Museum of Ireland
• St Patrick’s Cathedral, Christchurch Cathedral
• Georgian Dublin – St. Stephens Green; Merrion Square
• National Concert Hall; 'Bord Gais Energy' Performing Arts Theatre; Abbey Theatre; National Convention Centre; Aviva Stadium; O2; Croke Park GAA stadium and Museum
• Kilmainham Gaol
• Dublin Zoo
• Outdoor parks: Phoenix Park (largest European urban park); St. Stephens Green & Iveagh Gardens (both in the heart of Dublin, perfect for picnics)
• Boat tour of Dublin Bay
North Dublin (by Dart)
• Howth Harbour and Headlands (stunning for walking)
• Malahide Village and beach
Wicklow (also called the ‘Garden of Ireland’)
• Powerscourt House and Gardens – beautiful old house with stunning gardens. Also contains a cafe and shops
• Powerscourt Waterfall and playground– also part of the Powerscourt estate but in a different location
• Glendalough Round Tower, Lakes and Heritage Centre
• Sally Gap
• Russborough House and Gardens
• Bray Seafront (and Sealife) including a vigorous climb up Bray Head
Dalkey is within easy driving distance to more than 30 fabulous golf courses, from such as Portmarnock, Royal Dublin, the K-Club or Druids Glen only 30 mins drive away using easy to navigate major routes:
• 10 mins: Killiney Golf Course, Dun Laoghaire (home to the 2016 Curtis cup), Woodbrook, Leopardstown, Foxrock, Marlay Park, Stepaside
• 30 mins: Druids Glen, Powerscourt, Castle, Milltown, Edmonstown, Enniskerry, Old Conna, Stackstown, Grange
• 60 mins: K-Club, St Annes, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Woodenbridge
Special Interest Holidays
1. Swimming & Fitness – Several swimming pools and fitness centres are within easy reach as well as Sandycove's world famous '40 Foot' sea baths area 10 minutes away
2. Running – There are beautiful coastal runs right outside the front door with a number of marked & stunning seaside routes
3. Cycling – Being at the foot of Killiney Hill there are great hills less that a 5 minute ride away. For a more serious challenge and stunning scenery, just travel a little further south to County Wicklow where you can enjoy the challenge of some of the most beautiful hills Ireland has to offer including the famous Sally Gap with great mountain bike tracks as well as road routes.
4. Water Sports / Sailing – Huge choice of sailing and water sport activities only 25 minutes walk to Dun Laoghaire Harbour.
5. Walking: Wicklow Way – a series of fantastic trails for the more experienced walker though the Wicklow mountains.
6. Horses: There are three equestrian centres within a 15 minute drive – Carrickmines, Brennanstown and Kellystown. You can also experience the unique fun and excitement of horse racing in Ireland at Dublin’s only racecourse, Leopardstown Racecourse, (5 Km away) one of Europe’s premier race courses offering both national hunt and flat racing