|Minimum Stay||7 - 30 nights|
Welcome to La Grange aux Dîmes, St. Pierre-de-Maille.
Our riverside home in France provides a peaceful retreat in which to dream, think, write or simply relax. Overlooking a millpond on the Gartempe River, a tributary of the mighty Loire, we are serenaded by amorous toads & frogs, ducks and moorhens against the steady backdrop of water pouring over the weir.
Solidly built by the Bishops of Poitiers in the early fourteen-hundreds as a tithe barn, the house has massive foundations with walls several feet thick. It retains its medieval ambience with exposed oak beams and an elegant cherry-wood staircase built in the local style.
The house has recently undergone extensive improvements to make it energy-efficient - for the first time in 600 years
Light and airy, it enjoys stunning views across the river. Our garden runs down to the river bank and provides a peaceful and secluded spot to write, read, doze or entertain. We are both writers and find the environment very conducive to our work. We feel that our home would be ideally suited for like-minded people.
Our village, St. Pierre-de-Maillé, has its own general store, which you will find well stocked. We also have a bakery, restaurant, and bar.
Our home is perfect for:
• Anyone seeking peace and relaxation!
What is around us?
• Angles-sur-l'Anglin, less than two miles away, hailed as one of the most beautiful villages in France, is also home to a new museum of prehistory dedicated to the famous relief carvings in the Abri du roc aux sorciers.
• The great chateaux of the Loire valley.
• The Brenne National Park – great for wildlife
• Futuroscope - Theme park devoted to the moving image
• and a lot more!
• Abundant bike & walking trails
• Swimming & duck feeding in the river
• Canoeing (available to borrow)
• Horse & cart ride
• Horse riding
• Wine tasting
• Rock climbing
• Bird watching
• Prehistoric remains
• Scenery! - Churches, castles, ruins, caves, green lanes
• 3 bedrooms (2 double, 1 twin)
• 2.5 bathrooms
• Free WiFi
• Washer & outdoor line (no dryer)
• Linens & towels
• Gas stove & Bench-top oven
• Games & books
• TV & DVD player
• Pellet stove heater in living room
• Electric wall heaters
• Bikes & Canoes available to borrow free of charge
• Family friendly (high chair & cot available)
• Patio/outdoor area with barbecue
• Vegetable garden (help yourself!)
• Private section of garden with river access
• Picnic tables on the river opposite the house
• Minimum stay 7 nights
• Long term renters welcome
• Price varies according to season
• Check in 5pm
• Check out 10am
• Pets considered
• Minimum age of renters is 25
The owners are founding directors of the Bali Children's Project, a non-profit providing educational opportunities to disadvantaged village children. Both are writers. Dr. John Cooke taught zoology at Oxford, and was a director of Oxford Scientific Films, producing wildlife documentaries for TV.
Dr. John Cooke purchased this house in 1990
After visiting with friends for several years we fell in love with this part of France. The location and historic character of the house presented a unique opportunity when it came on the market.
The best of French country living while only 80 minutes from Paris by TGV.
The area, set in gently rolling hills and river valleys, is rich in historic and prehistoric sites. Angles sur l'Anglin (3 miles) is one of the ten most beautiful villages in France, with dramatic cliff-top castle ruins and prehistory museum. Many visitors enjoy the Gregorian chant at the 12th Century Benedictine Abbey at Fontgombeault
|Rental Period||Minimum Rate||Additional Nights||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event Rate|
6 Jun 2015 - 26 Sep 2015
Changeover Day: Saturday
7 night minimum stay
for 7 nights
My Standard Rate
30 night minimum stay
for 30 nights
|Refundable Damage Deposit||£200|
No refunds unless a replacement booking becomes available.
Utilities & heating payable in standard season
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Please Note: The owner of this property accepts payment in the original currency specified (GBP), before use of conversion tool. The conversion tool is provided for your convenience only. The owner may accept other currencies if specifically agreed in advance.