Quiet waters and the shallow reefs
We recently stayed at the Ka Hale 'Olu beach house on Anini Beach near Princeville. We first saw Anini beach about a year earlier (staying at Poipu) and were amazed at the quiet waters and the shallow reefs - perfect for little children. Despite the excellent snorkeling and waters across the street, the kids in our two-family group seemed to enjoy the beach house even more, often just playing in/around the house, particularly hiding from adults in the loft. The house is in excellent shape, with all the amenities, cable, kitchen stuff, beach towels, and Wifi. House has masks/snorkels and fins, boogie boards,kayak, beach foot wear, reef shoes, umbrellas, chairs, cooler ettc. Basically consider bringing no water stuff, house has it all - you can rent anything else in Hanalei. Consider bring some small nets for the kids - lots of critters. As Hawaii goes sometimes the best experiences are the unexpected ones, I thought I'd list some here.
1) Gecko chasing - my boys made a game of catching the hoards of geckos that showed up everynight to eat bugs by the night lights.
2) Tadpole catching - tadpoles of several species in the stream next door and in a pond at the end of Anini road.
3) Coconut tossing - my they splash, a bunch around the stream for kids to toss.
4) Cane toad rescue - kids constantly shooing them off the roads at night before they got smushed
5) Kayak sailing - would let boys float along in sheltered bay, wind would push kayak from right left on beach (really fun), no paddling necessary (I would tow the kids back by leash), water really shallow (3-5 feet).
6) Turtle watching - near boat landing 100 yards from house (10-15 turtles swimming about about 10 AM)
7) Best snorkel spots - boat landing (deep coral and turtles), end of Anini road (about a mile away) where a stream comes out (hordes of little fish entering stream in shallow beach.
8) Gorging on 15 varieties Foodland Poke' which was $11.99/lb (cheeeep) when we there (about 2 miles away)
9) Rainbows at Hanalei Bay (a religious experience that is!)
10) Bee watching (a swarm of honey bees camped out nearby the house and were collected by a local beekeeper, who left us two jars of local honey). Nobody got stung.
11) Game of Thrones (Rains of Castamere) - What a setting to watch the "Red Wedding" episode on our iPads. Grownups only, nobody liked the bloody ending.
Only downside to our Anini Beach stay was a lot of mosquitoes at times. Wear bug spray, and keep the fans on.
Families with Teenagers,
Families with Young Children
Helpful votes: 6/6
Did you find this review helpful?