The CASA COLONCA, a spacious, independent section of an historic Villa on two floors with private entrance [sleeps 4 to 6] for short or longer-term stays. For more pictures and information on the region, see featured website link.
The CASA COLONICA comprised the original owner's apartments, now renovated with modern conveniences (such as WI-FI internet), luxury appointments, traditional furniture and original prints.
- UPSTAIRS there are two comfortable bedrooms with beamed ceilings, antique wardrobes, writing tables and large windows with stunning views onto the gardens and surrounding countryside. The huge bathroom features a tub/shower and enough floor space for morning yoga exercises!
- DOWNSTAIRS are the daytime living quarters with arched doors and windows giving out onto the garden. The sitting room has two daybeds, a SAT-TV+DVD, a lending library with recreational reading, guidebooks and cookbooks. Flooded with afternoon sunlight, this room is a perfect place to curl up and plan your day trips, read, or enjoy an glass of wine. The downstairs also features a well-equipped 'taverna' kitchen to make espresso for breakfast, and practice your Tuscan cooking skills. You will enjoy the traditional Tuscan chestnut cabinets, two tables to spread out food and maps, and lots of seating arrangements.
- FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE you will also find a microwave, dishwasher and washing machine. There are drying racks for clothes, and an iron & ironing board.
- ALL ROOMS have large windows with views. The house has 60 cm thick walls, which means it is delightfully cool in summer, but for extra comfort there are there are fans in every room. All bedroom and bath windows have screens. Banister and child gate on stairs.
Outside is an extended, rustic garden area with a panoramic view over the rolling hills and vineyards of the Valdarno. Both sunny and shady areas. Do not miss the breathtaking sunsets and the deer that graze in the fields at twilight. The garden also features large terracotta pots of flowers (in bloom according to season), a table with chairs and lounge chairs and benches. In the garden you can breakfast and dine 'al fresco,' or just watch the sunset with a glass of wine. From Il Poggiolo you can see the Valdarno valley, the Appennine mountains, the Sienese hills, and on a good day, all the way to Vallombrosa.
- PRIVATE PARKING on the property.
Guests appreciate the fact that Il Poggiolo is located in the tranquility of the countryside but conveniently close to Florence, Siena, and Arezzo (30-45 minutes drive). While a car is necessary for your stay, the center of Florence can be reached by train from Montevarchi in just 35 minutes, as can a number of other destinations such as Pisa, Assisi, Cortona, Orvieto, etc.. Nearby are historic sites (medieval and Renaissance towns, towers and castles). There are also picturesque villages, national parks, thermal baths and, a bit farther, seaside beaches. Swimming nearby in a number of local pools (10-15 minutes drive). Excellent wine and fine restaurants in the area, as well as informal village trattorias and pizzerias. Numerous designer outlets in the area for clothes, shoes, household items, etc. Perfect for day trips to all the historic attractions of Tuscany, for sports enthusiasts and gastronomic tourism, for family vacations, or just to get away from it all.
NO PETS & NO SMOKING (inside) please - allergy controlled environment.
Convenient location for tourism and good train service.
Comfortable and spacious accommodation with luxury appointments, fine antiques.
Gardens (furnished for all tastes) with lovely views.
Country walks and trekking (from gentle sloping dirt roads through vineyards to serious mountain trails through forests)
Local markets for local produce (especially vegetables and fruit, wine and olive oil).
Marvelous eating - from pizza parlours to five-star restaurants.
Major designer outlets and malls.
Private parking area on the property.
WI-FI, SatTV, DVD
Recreational reading library and guide books, maps.
KEYWORDS: Tuscany, Villa rental, Tuscan tourism, agriturismo, B&B, gastronomy, slow food region, luxury appointments, holiday home, vacation in Italy, furnished gardens, panoramic views, allergy-sensitive.