Saint Just is an ancient settlement, which is attached to Fain les Moutiers, 2km away. Here there are about 10 farmsteads with gaps, lined up on the hill with each other.
You can sit here on a beautiful summer evening, perhaps with a glass of wine and looking into the open countryside to the south.
Behind the final horizon line, you might probably dream of the sea, Marseille, Lavandou, Nice. This of course is not true, but along this line there, is the famous Weinstrasse of central Burgundy. Nuit St Georges, Beaune etc., where the famous wines of this region are grown. Each and everyone tells oneself, ‘I will go there tomorrow’.
Maybe you can also simply reminisce the day, with a view of the dark forest areas of the nature reserve 'Morvan' one thinks of a visit to Avallon and Vezelay with its impressive Basilica 'Saint Madelaine'. Or, on the left side, just over the hill, Montbard, with its structurally interesting Cistercian abbey 'Abbaye de Fontenay'.
Everywhere in the villages and small towns of Burgundy, the Tuscany of France, there are interesting churches, mainly in the Romanesque style of construction. Right at the foot of the hill of St. Just within a walk of 15 minutes is the old Moutiers St Jean, founded in 650, with its ancient monastery walls. A visit to the capital city Dijon is highly recommended. Gorgeous castles and manor houses appear here and there, on the way to this place.
Maybe you can draw the circle closer and plan a bike tour for the next day without having to compromise on cultural aspects. (For e.g. Castle in Epoisses with a beautiful park, 35 minutes by bike )
Following are some other highlights that are easy to reach by car:
- Montbard and ‘Abbaye de Fontenay' 20 min
- 'Alesia' with its impressive new museum 30 min
- The medieval town of Semur-en-Auxois 15min
- And Flavigny, with its magnificent stone houses 20 min
- Chablis and the medieval town Noyers 35 min
- Ancy le Franc, and its Renaissance Castle 40 min
- Vezelay with a stop in Avallon 45 min
- Dijon, not to forget, a piece of candy for all art lovers 75 min
- Adventure Park: Animals, carousels and swimming pool 30 min
- Baumkletterpark (Tree climbing) at Avallon 40 min
- Small outdoor pool in Epoisses 15 min
- Beach on the lake, Lac de Pont 20 minutes
- A drive along the renowned 'Canal de Bourgogne'
There are many castles in the nearby surrounding, which usually offer
interesting exhibitions in summer....