HomeAway Translation Service
With your HomeAway.co.uk subscription your property listing is also published free of charge on 20 HomeAway sites across Europe, America and Australia.
In order for our customers to get maximum benefit from their international advertising, we have recently introduced the new HomeAway Translation Service. This free service automatically translates your full advert into the other languages in which your property is published to help travellers get more information about your property and therefore increase the number of enquiries you get from our International sites.
How does the HomeAway Translation Service work?
Your basic property details, rates, availability and photographs have always been automatically updated on our international sites when your update your HomeAway.co.uk listing. The HomeAway Translation Service improves upon this by also translating portions of descriptive text into other languages every time you update your English language listing.
The following fields are translated automatically:
- Your property advert headline
- Your Accommodation Summary
- The Location Description
- Your rental rates periods and notes
- Your further details about your property
Currently we are unable to translate:
- The photo captions
- A Special Offers product your might be promoting on your property
This is how it works:
- We have automatically translated your advert into the languages of your International listings
- Each time you update your English text, your property will be sent for re-translation into these languages
- We automatically republish your updated advert onto our International sites *
- You may choose to opt-out of the Translation Service for specific languages. Please see the instructions below.
How to improve the quality of your free translation
If you want to improve the quality of your machine translation without translating it yourself, there are some simple things you can do when writing or editing the English version of your listing:
- Be careful to avoid typing mistakes, misspellings and improper grammar.
- Avoid trying to conserve characters by eliminating spaces between sentences. This creates a continuous string of text that can’t be understood by the translation service.
- Avoid using slang and colloquialisms.
- Writing in ALL CAPS, abbreviations and acronyms can also be confusing to the translation service.
- Always use Title Case for proper nouns such as names of unique individuals, events, and places. This will help the translation service determine if a name should be translated into the target language.
- Avoid using long run-on sentences. It can be difficult for the translation service to understand the context of your description.
How to write your own translation or purchase a Professional Translation
As with any machine translation, we know it’s not perfect so we offer you the chance to opt-out of the Translation Service and write your own description in other languages.
Please note: Once you have opted out of the service for a specific language you cannot be opted back in at this time.
How to opt out & add your own translation on your International advert:
- Login to your account
- Click on your property photo
- Select the language you wish to edit from the Language Editor drop down on the top right hand side of the page
- Go to the section of your advert you wish to edit
- Click on the translated text and select ‘OK’ to opt-out of the Translation Service for that language and remove the existing translation.
- Add your own translation and Click the 'Save changes' button when you have finished each section. Your updated text will appear on your International sites within a couple of hours.
How to opt out & purchase a Professional Translation:
If you would like to improve the quality of your translations but don’t want to write it yourself, you can also opt for a one-off Professional Translation. This service is available for French, German, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese adverts for £25 or €35.
1. Login to your account
2. Click on your property photo
3. Click on the orange button to 'Place order'
4. Choose to add to your current subscription or your next subscription with your renewal
5. Place your order using our secure online system or call us on +44 (0) 208 827 1971.
Your Professional translation will automatically be published on your listing within 5 working days.
* HomeAway.co.uk aims to republish your text updates to your advert in 3 – 5 business days. However please be aware there may be busy times, during which this process may take longer.
If you have a translation you need to make urgently we recommend you make the translation manually using the language editor in your owner dashboard. If you do not speak the language you can use a machine translation service like Google Translate. Please be aware that making a manual translation with the language editor will opt you out of machine translation for that particular language.
HomeAway.co.uk customers are responsible for the content and accuracy of their listings. This is in accordance with our Terms and Conditions section 8.