Accepting Online Payments
HomeAway Payments is a secure way for holidaymakers to pay you online. This automatically covers their payments against internet fraud for up to £10,000.
Using HomeAway Payments will help avoid chargeback disputes and get more bookings, as guests have to agree to your rental agreement before paying today's travellers prefer to pay for travel services online.
Learn more about accepting online payments here.
- Get to know who you are renting to – before they arrive. Speak with potential guests before confirming their reservations.
- This not only enables you to learn more about the guest and their trip and answer any questions they may have, it enables them to confirm the booking and payment details, which can help protect both of you against ‘phishers’ - please read our online guide to protecting yourself from Phishing Scams to find out more
- Make sure the phone number on your listing is accurate and we recommend getting back to guests within 24 hours after they inquire.
- To promote security, we encourage guests to contact owners or managers to confirm their reservation and payment details before making any payment. Expect a phone call from your potential guests for every booking.
Rental agreements do more than define the legal relationship between you and your guests, they can help you communicate exactly how you wish your home to be treated, and clarify your expectations with the potential renter. We strongly encourage you to use a rental agreement for each reservation. If you set up your account to accept online bookings and payments, guests will have to accept your agreement before confirming their booking.
Be sure to include the following in your rental agreement:
- Names of all parties
- Check-in / checkout dates
- Rental amounts
- Payment schedules
- Cancellation and refund policies
- We also recommend including house rules and policies around cleaning fees, pets, and smoking
You can download a Holiday Letting Sample Rental Contract.
- Checklist for turning your second home into a holiday rental
- Holiday home equipment & facilities checklist
- Cleaning & maintenance checklist
- Holiday home advertising checklist
- Sample rental contract & invoice
- Sample security deposit refund & withholding letters
- Sample guest enquiry responses
- Sample directions & pre-arrival information
- Sample guest feedback survey
- Sample welcome letters & arrival / departure information